To avoid scratching always store each jewelry piece separately. To reduce tarnishing, store in a non humid environment (you can always add anti-tarnish strips in each pouch, or add silica gel packets to the jewelry boxes).
Avoid contact with water, harsh chemicals, deodorant, hair sprays, perfume and etc. Ensure you wear your silver jewelry as the last item of your outfit.
Regularly use a silver polishing cloth to clean your jewelry.
To remove tarnish from your silver jewelry without the use of harsh chemicals, use the following method (this is not suitable for oxidized jewelry, or for jewelry that has gemstones, diamonds or pearls):
- Line a small bowl with a sheet of aluminum foil; shiny side up.
- Add boiling water; 1 tablespoon of baking soda (soda bicarbonate) and 1 tablespoon of salt to the bowl.
- Put the jewelry in the bowl and ensure the jewelry is totally covered by the water and leave to soak for 15 minutes.
- Rinse the jewelry under tap water.
- Gently dry the jewelry with a lint-free flannel, microfiber, or other soft nonabrasive cloth and use silver polishing cloth to bring back its original shine.
The best way to avoid your jewelry from tarnishing is to wear it frequently, the natural oils in your skin will “clean” your silver jewelry and keep it nice and shiny.